Estrogen is an essential hormone so the effects can be quite wide-ranging. Learn about just what all the effects are of low estrogen.
Symptoms of low estrogen may include the following:
- Irregular periods: Estrogen is one of the main hormones driving the menstrual cycle. Low estrogen may lead to missed or irregular periods.
- Infertility: Low estrogen levels can prevent ovulation and make getting pregnant difficult, leading to infertility.
- Weak bones: Estrogen helps keep the bones healthful and strong. As estrogen levels decrease, bone loss may occur. For example, women who are post-menopausal are at an increased risk of developing osteoporosis and bo
- Painful intercourse: Estrogen can affect vaginal lubrication. If levels become too low, vaginal dryness can occur, which often leads to painful sex.
- Hot flashes: Hot flashes often happen during menopause due to low estrogen levels.
- Depression: Estrogen is thought to increase serotonin, which is a chemical in the brain that boosts mood. Estrogen deficiency may cause a decline in serotonin that contributes to mood swings or depression.
- Increase in urinary tract infections: Increased urinary tract infections may occur due to the thinning of the tissue in the urethra, which can develop with decreased estrogen.
See What Our Patients’ Are Saying About Their Experience With Our Comprehensive Natural Hormone Therapy Program >>
Effect on Weight
Hormones including estrogen can play a role in weight management and how much fat the body stores. Low estrogen levels, such as during perimenopause and menopause, may contribute to weight gain.
The areas where women store fat may also change during menopause. Typically, women store fat in their hips and thighs. But that changes as estrogen levels drop. According to the Journal of Climacteric, the decrease in estrogen at midlife is associated with an increase in abdominal fat.
Although weight gain due to low estrogen levels is typical, it does not have to be inevitable. Eating a healthful diet and getting regular exercise can help women reduce their chances of weight gain.
“I always wondered why at such a young age my energy, concentration, and libido were so low. How could a 25 year old not have any desire?! Natural Hormone Therapy saved my sanity. I no longer wondered why I was different. Knowing that other women and men struggled with the same issues was comforting. I have never doubted the effectiveness of NHT. This is one aspect of my life I will never give up. I hope other men and women can find what I was looking for at New Leaf.”
– Amanda L., New Leaf Wellness Patient
A diagnosis of low estrogen often starts with a physical exam, medical history, and a review of symptoms. Telltale indicators of low estrogen include hot flashes and missed periods. But some of these symptoms can also occur as a result of other conditions, including thyroid problems.
To determine the cause of low estrogen, New Leaf Wellness does a blood test to check hormone levels. The Provider may also recommend additional tests to rule out other conditions that might be causing symptoms similar to low estrogen.
What Should You Do Now?
Don’t wait. Contact us today and start living your best life. Fill out the form below to schedule an appointment with us.